The Funk Soul Rebels have been humbled by the reaction and response from people in their reasonably short career. This prodigious group of musicians and their replication of old school funk has been met with overwhelming comments, appeciation and the buzz that comes with their performances.
The band have been together for a couple of years after Keith Muir (Bass) and Silvano Onofrio (Guitar/Backing Vocals) spoke about the need for a pure groove funk band in the Berkshire area.
Collectively they recruited only the best musicians who fully understood the pure funk concept and it became quite clear that the unit was going to be something worthwhile. After the first few rehearsals Silvano said “This is clicking so well, it sounds great, so unique.” We all knew that this exciting project was worth bringing to the public, and they have performing on a regular basis ever since with rave reviews.
The funk sound is locked together with the classic bass grooves that Keith layers down and the classic drum patterns that Dean Sturgess put together. The engine they provide is further enhanced with the funk guitar by Silvano and keyboard wizardry of Rob Bridgman. The icing on the cake is provided by the horn section and the dynamic overtones of Billy Totty on percussion who provides that final musical rhythm that encapsulate dynamic grooves. To top it all, Jerome Ifill has the voice to deliver what can only be described as mesmerising. “We knew this was special from the moment the unit got together to perform the first song. It sounded complete.” Said Keith. “It was as if we were born to it and floated in a trance as soon as the groove got going from the first couple of bars.”
All the band are influenced by the great classic performers such as James Brown, Bill Withers, Gil Scott-Heron, Average White Band and WAR to name but a few. As individual musicians, their individual experiences range from chart success, studio session players and in demand dep players. They bring a wealth of talent to their shows and never fail to deliver to what can only be described as a memorable night.
“We were just passing by the place and heard this great music and atmosphere so we were magnetically drawn in. We have been following them ever since. We never did get to where were originally going that night! Their shows are not to be missed.” Louise S, Reading.
The Funk Soul Rebels deliver songs that will take you back to the yesteryear era of pure funk and groove. “What it comes down to for us is to make sure that people leave the venue feeling great and buzzing. We always want to make sure that people feel the need to come back to the next show and listen to what we can do, and to sing along at the very minimum!” says Jerome. “This is the music we love and we want people to feel part of it, and we always ask ourselves, why anyone else isn’t playing it?” he added.
We just wanted to say a massive thank you for making our wedding day extra special. You guys were incredible!!! Everyone absolutely loved you and we sure did party! Throughout the whole process you made it relaxed for us and we are thankful for that!
Will hopefully see you soon at your next Turks gig!
Louise and Shaun xx"
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Groove based funk band whose only desire is to get people up on their feet and have a great night!
- What are the highlights of your career?Too many to mention, but there have been a few
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Excellent musicians, good people, all intent in on giving a good evening. We don't fail to deliver....
- How can event planners pay for your services?On the night
- How long do you play for?2 x 1 hours sets with interim music if required
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes, and it's all PAT tested
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes. insurance up to 10 million pounds sterling...Equipment is all PAT tested
- How much space do you require?We are a large band, so space is much appreciated. If the venue is too small, we may have to say no as you will not benefit from our sound, being honest. We would rather a space where we can relax and deliver a good evening for you, so yes, space is important. Having said that, we have adapted to all sorts of venues over the years but a very small venue would not be advantageous.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Let us know before hand and we are sure we can play it...
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We take a 15-20 minute break dependant on your needs......We will work around you...No problem
Thinking Out Loud Ed Sheeran (Funk Soul Rebels Reggae Arrangement - See Video Footage)
This Girl Cooking on Three Burners (The Funk Soul Rebels Arrangement)
Lady Day/John Coltrane Gil Scott Heron
Brick House Commodores
I Wish Stevie Wonder
The Bottle Gil Scott-Heron
WAR Edwin Starr
Lovely Day Bill Withers
7 Nation Army Funk Soul Rebels Arrangement (Ska)
Express Yourself Charles Wright
Superstition Stevie Wonder
Get Lucky Daft Punk
House Party Nils Landgren Funk Unit
Moneys Too Tight To Mention Simply Red
I Need A Dollar Aloe Blacc
This Love Maroon 5
I Feel Good James Brown
Joy and Pain Maze