We’re Solid Steel and we’re a modern professional UK-based steel band or ‘steel drum band’ as our American cousins mistakenly call it! We’re available for hire with musicians based mainly in London, but with contacts to associate steel pan players throughout the country.
Our Gallery shows that beyond the Solid Steel core we are a small family of musicians that spans 3 generations. We regard ourselves as good musicians above all else and most of us have a second instrument we also play at a professional level.
What also distinguishes us from other steel bands is that we can offer vocals and other instrumentation to play the diverse repertoire that you can see here in our playlist.
My father's band
Our steel band was founded by myself, Paul Cherrie, in 1986, after an ‘apprenticeship’ served with my father Max’s band, ‘The Cherry Pickers’, which is now based in Manchester and which I now also manage.
Max was one of the first of his generation to play pan professionally in t...
Grace• 30 Mar 2017
Fantastic experience dealing with Solid Steel. They created a wonderful atmosphere at 100th birthday party. They were easy to deal with. Professional and personable. Great Music.
Jon• 18 Aug 2018
The band were superb, and set the atmosphere brilliantly. I would recommend to everybody. Thanks
L BET• 1 Mar 2019
They were great
Jenni Le Pard• 7 Jul 2018
The Solid Steel band played at our Engagement BBQ this Summer - really brilliant entertainment! All the guests immediately got into the vibe when they started playing. Great selection of hits that everyone knew. A really nice way to add something a bit different to your event which is both laid back but professional. Paul was very speedy with communication and also accommodated last minute time changes (due to the start time of the football quarter-finals!). Would definitely use again!
Ilana Sichel• 6 Dec 2018
Really nice guy, created a great atmosphere at the Xmas party and music choices were great.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Cutting edge market-leading steel band. Famous as well. At least in my head! :)
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?Very flexible on this- according to our clients’ requirements.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Probably! We always like to learn new songs that we’d like to include in our repertoire in the future.
- How much space do you require?A minimum of 1m2 per musician.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes- when called upon. Which is rare where lighting is concerned.
- How long do you play for?For as long as you’d like us- or at least for as long as your budget will allow. ;)
- How can event planners pay for your services?In advance with VAT added or in cash to the bandleader on the day of the event.
- How can event planners pay for your services?In advance with VAT or in cash to the bandleader on the day.
- Who are your previous clients?Princes and paupers
- What kind of events do you usually serve?In the main, private functions of which the majority are wedding receptions and corporate events.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?High quality musicianship, super-relaxed personalities allied with ultra reliability.
- What are the highlights of your career?Playing on stage with the Rolling Stones.
21st Century Pop Covers
Break Your Heart
Don't Know Why