Newick Folk perform mainly traditional music plus anything else that takes our fancy. That might be anything from Lily the Pink and My Old Man’s a Dustman to the themes from Captain Pugwash or Blackadder and maybe even Blueberry Hill or the Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square. We set out to entertain you and we love it when people get up and dance. We play at lots of Ceilidhs for Weddings and significant birthday events.
Should you wish we can provide covers or jazz sets so if you wanted to combine two genres in an evening - for example Ceilidh set / Covers set or Jazz set / Ceilidh set - we can accomodate that.
We are based in Newick and play many local events and sessions throughout Sussex with occasional ventures to Kent, Surrey and the nearer bits of London
Price for the full team with caller is £650 which includes for a full PA and local area travelling. We have an eclectic background so musical adventures are always on the cards which is why we have additional offers such as Jazz, covers and original material bands.
These represent the additional musical projects of band members and are available via poptop as individual packages that now come with their own photos, videos and audio tracks.
Hayley• July 27, 2019
These guys were fabulous. Really helped to make our day special. Lots of compliments from our guests. They played songs at our wedding ceremony at leatherhead registry office and then came back to our house to entertain us and our guests in our garden! The guys were very obliging and wonderful musicians. Highly recommend - thanks Newick Folk!!!! 👍👍
Dave Mallett• Sept. 1, 2018
"Just a quick thankyou to you and the band for a fantastic day at our wedding on 1st September.
Everyone loved your music (some won't stop talking about you!) and we couldn't have asked for better."
Natalie Grundy• Aug. 4, 2018
thank you for the wonderful performance you did at our wedding. Everyone said you guys were so good and I'm just sorry I didn't get to chat to you more - you know how weddings are, they tend to be a little hectic!
Rhiannon Harman• July 14, 2018
I just wanted to say a massive thank you again for playing at the fair today. You really set the mood beautifully; it's so lovely to have live music at a school event.
Tere Tammar• Feb. 10, 2018
We had such an enjoyable time on 10th February and a lot of the joy was due to the life enhancing music of Newick Folk. So many people have said to us that they would like to take up country dancing after this. Quite a lot of people commented on the last song. We have never heard anybody sing it better! We really could not have been more pleased with how it all went.
Gemma Mawbey• July 24, 2017
My predecessor booked you in to last years Medieval Harvest Festival at Autumn Lodge Dementia Home. We were so impressed and everyone thoroughly enjoyed you all it really made our residents day. We are hoping to do it all again this year and would love to book you in.
Services From Newick Folk
Ceilidh Band for Barn Dances
Ceilidh Trio plus Caller
Jazz Duo - American Songbook/Soul/Blues - 2 x 50 Minutes
5 piece Folk Band playing the music of these Islands
Kitsch n Sync - Covers & Original Material Band With Male & Female Vocals - 2 Hours
Singing Pianist - 1.5 Hours
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:We are a folk band that play lots of Ceilidhs/ Barn Dances, perform the music of these islands (Irish, Scottish English) and most of the time manage to keep our latent jazz tendencies under control.
- What are the highlights of your career?We have an eclectic background. Our pianist has played with many well known names, our bass player is well known as a member of many local bands including "Just Tina" and The Trailers. Our singer was in a band at University with June Tabor and has played with a number of local bands including an appearance at the Himalayan Blues Festival in 2009.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?We know that the people who book us are usually celebrating an important event in their lives - a wedding, a family reunion or a significant birthday. It's our job to give them a good experience and to manage any issues due to catering delays etc so that the event is seamless. We're good at this as these testimonials show We were able to book this band for St Patrick's weekend and the whole process ran very smoothly. Very quick to respond to email queries and the set was tailored to our Irish theme which we so appreciated. The guys were very easy going, organised and supportive of our fundraising cause too. Would definitely recommend as a jolly evening was had by all, Thank You :-) Amy Lumsden (Fundraising Event ) 10/10 This is just an email to say thank you so much for playing at my 21st. You and the rest of your band were absolutely amazing. You were all polite and everyone enjoyed your music. The caller was great. It's the best music for a celidh that i've been too. My family and friends were amazed at how well you all played and loved the songs in between (and so did i). Thank you all for a lovely evening and i hope you enjoyed yourselves too and grabbed enough food and drinks during the breaks. Catherine Moreley 9/10
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings, parties celebrating significant birthdays
- Who are your previous clients?Crown Inn, Newick Griffin Inn, Fletching Royal Oak, Newick Townings Farm Open Day Chailey Festival Five Bells, Chailey Griffin Inn Fletching Linklater Pavilion, Lewes Sloop Inn, Lindfield Newick Festival Newick Twinning Association Various private parties, Barn dances and weddings. Lindfield Festival Surrey Hills Woodfair Rose and Crown Fletching Apple Tree Haslemere Fairwarp Fete Crowborough Town Council Townings Farm
- How can event planners pay for your services?Cash or by BACS transfer
- How long do you play for?For a Ceilidh we would do two 1 hour sets with a few songs in addition. Otherwise 2-3 hours with a break We don't go in for fancy riders but a couple of drinks and something to eat is always appreciated
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes to PA - we don't have lighting
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes we have Public & Product Liability Insurance with Royal & Sun Alliance. Indemnity amount £10,000,000, Policy Number RSAP7229194200 via AMPBAND All of our equipment is PAT tested
- How much space do you require?5 x 3 square metres
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?A definite maybe - we will where possible learn special tunes but we reserve the right to say we can't
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?one or two breaks - usually 20-30 minutes. However we will agree this with the client in advance
Our main offering is the Newick Folk Band - available as trio, four or five piece with caller for Ceilidhs/ Barn Dances - the band can also add a covers or jazz set if required. More specialist offerings can be found as
Heavenly Blues - Jazz Blues and Soul Piano + Vocals
Kitsch n Sync - Original Material about 21st century life with a few quirky covers thrown in
The Ceilidh Band's main repertoire includes
Ships in full sail / rakes of kildare
John Mchuges Jig /out on the ocean
Dirty Old Town
The Bed Breaker
Juice of the Barley
Battle of Brisbane
Dublin in the rare old times
Haste to the wedding / Irish Washerwoman
Mucking of Geordie's Byre / Lannigan's Ball
Sally Mac Lennane
Tell me Ma
Planxty Irwin / Planxty Fanny Power
The Galway Shawl
Off to California / boys from blue hill
Lily the Pink
My love she's but a lassie yet / |Atholl Highlanders
Sloop John B
Ballydesmond Polka/ John Ryan's Polka
Pugwash/Portsmouth/ Sailors Hornpipe
Streets of New York
Mountains of Mourne
Three Drunken Maidens
Lish Young Buy a Broom
My old man's a Dustman
Typical dances include
Bridge of Athlone
Strip the Willow
Dashing White Sergeant etc