Below the Border - Vintage Rock & Blues
Below the Border are ex-professional musicians and recording artists from the 70s. Some of us had record contracts, appearing on albums released on vinyl - yes, we are that old!
Now we play just for fun, in London music venues and at private parties. Three of us came out of the outstanding pop function band Tangerine Scene but in Below the Border we cover our favourite rock & blues artists:-
Cream, Free, David Bowie, T-Rex, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Faces, Steppenwolf, Steve Miller, Wilson Picket, BB King, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Badfinger, The Spencer Davis Group, etc. We choose material that gets people up dancing.
Our fee is inexpensive because we’ve had grown-up careers since leaving the music business decades ago. These days it’s about the playing and the reward of seeing audiences enjoying a great rock band . . . YOUR party will be night your guests remember!
Wendy• Oct. 26, 2018
Tangerine Scene were wonderful at a Birthday party at the Coburn Resturant in the City last week. People moved their tables aside to make more room to dance. Charlotte and the band played at a nice volume and gave us those brill songs from the 60s and 70s that everybody knows and wants to get up and dance to. During their first set people were still eating but Itchycoo Park, Stuck in the Middle with You, Sprit in the Sky and Son of a Preacher Man made people stand up and cheer! Brilliant band. The harmony vocals were fantastic and loved the sound of the organ. Amazing lead guitarist too. Thanks so much for entertaining everybody so well. Wendy x
Alec Burghardt• Oct. 6, 2018
My God these guys can play! They were all professional musicians in the 70s, apart from their young singer Charlotte who’s wonderful, and some of them even had record contracts! They played all the hits from the psychedelic years, T Rex, The Small Faces, The Kinks, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Santana, The Beatles, . . . They had everybody dancing. One hit after another and they SOUND EXACTLY like the original 45 singles! The hits we all know just kept coming all night, stuff you just have to get up and dance to - even at our age! Keep on Running, Gimmie Some Loving, Twist and Shout (we did! Both!), Spirit in the Sky, Hang on Sloopy, Light my Fire, Stuck in the Middle With You, Alright Now, Can’t Get Enough, Come up and See Me . . . Wonderful stuff. We’ve decided to have a Christmas Party just to book this band! Can’t wait. They set up and sound checked without any fuss, sent us a contract before hand and played their sets exactly the times we asked. Lovely people. Thanks boys. Brilliant. See you all soon!
Kevin• Sept. 7, 2018
My wife and I saw Tangerine Scene at a festival and we’re able to book them for my 60th birthday and retirement party. Our friends loved their music from the hippie years and Charlotte and the lads played all the hits we love remarkably well. The lads are great players and Charlotte is a brilliant singer. They made everybody dance their socks off. They are such a friendly bunch and we were so pleased they accepted our booking. Thank you Charlotte and the boys. Hope to catch you again. K x
Kevin• Aug. 4, 2018
My wife and I saw Tangerine Scene at a festival and booked them for my retirement and 60th birthday party. Most of our friends grew up on the music they play and loved how they sound exactly like the bands they cover. They made everybody dance and they are a really nice bunch. Very friendly. Their singer Charlotte is just fab and the lads sure can play!
Old Tavern• April 13, 2019
Booked as Tangerine Scene who had split up and four of them did the gig in their new Rock & Blues 4 piece band called Below the Border.. And God were they good . . . playing rock and blues instead of pop. Fantastic twin lead guitarists, one of them a great front man and singer. Brilliant to hear stuff like Cream’s White Room, Hendrix’s Foxy Lady and other rock fav’s like Born to be Wild and Whole Lotta love played so well. The guitar solos were like the original records. Spellbinding!
John Dohaughton• June 30, 2019
I booked the lads from Below the Border for my wife's 60th birthday party and they were exactly as described. Brilliant musicians one and all and they kept everyone dancing until well after midnight with popular rock hits from the 70s and that swingy blues stuff that you just HAVE to get up and dance to no matter how old your bones are. Lovely chaps too. Polite, eductated, down to earth, (clean!) and they have that dry sense of humour people who've been around have. I thoroughly recommend them. And we were AMAZED at how cheap they were. But as they said, they've done all this for real many years ago and they are not doing it now for the money. Just incredible guitar playing. Boys, long may you keep on truckin' as we used to say. Thanks thanks and thanks again.
John and Doreen
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A four piece band of ex-pro musicians and recording artists playing vintage Rock & Blues songs you will know and want to dance to.
- What are the highlights of your career?We are mature ex-pro musicians who have had long careers. Individually we’ve toured, had record contracts, been on television, been played on radio (such as John Peel’s show on BBC Radio One) and appeared with all sorts of people during our music careers in younger days: Georgie Fame, Gary Brooker. The Pretenders, Cheap Yrick, Frankie Miller, The Real Thing. ~
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Our product - ex-professionals playing the sound track to our hippie youth of the late 60s and early 70s. The music that got us started. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ We are playing the music we absolutely love and given out experience we play it exceedingly well and that is our competitive advantage. To be honest, the reward for us is learning this stuff EXACTLY like the original records and seeing our audiences appreciate that. People dancing their socks off to the hits they know and also love, people swaying and singing . . . “There’s a star-man waiting in the sky, he’d like to come and meet us, but he’s scared he’ll blow our minds..” ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Aside from our young lead singer we have all had our careers. We play a function about once a month . . . sometimes big events sometimes small parties. Yes we earn a few bob . . . we’re very good. But a lot of this for us is about the love of the music and being appreciated for playing it well. Personally I love it when people turn to look at our lead guitarist in the solos; not just because he’s note perfect off the record but because he SOUNDS exactly like Marc Bolan or Jimi Hendrix or Steve Marriott or George Harrison or, etc.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Music venues, festivals, rock pubs, parties, corporate events.
- Who are your previous clients?Individually we’ve played at universities & town halls around the UK; in London’s fashionable rock venues of the 70s & 80s such as the 100 club, The Rock Garden, The Golden Lion, The Half Moon Putney; big stage Festivals around the Auckland snd Europe; at Birmingham’s famous ‘Railway’ venue in Digbeth as well as Barbarela’s; in blues clubs in Chicago, in night clubs around Europe such as Spain’s prestigious Tito’s as well as at a number of black tie corporate shin-digs and weddings around the country. But only one of us has appeared at Wembley!!!
- How can event planners pay for your services?Bank transfer, PayPal, cash . . . Whatever suits you.
- How long do you play for?Minimum 45 minutes maximum 3 hours
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes we have our own PA and lights
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?We’ve played on large festival stages over the summer and recently in a village church hall for a wedding anniversary in a corner . . . we’re not fussy . . . we are very customer friendly! We are doing this to play, not to make money or make a mark.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Of course - we are very easy going
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We are ex pro musicians, we’ve all toured at some point in our careers . . . you tell us when you want us to have a break, you’re type customer!
- Do you have more FAQs on your website.Indeed we do. Go to www.below-the-Border.com
BELOW THE BORDER's SET LIST includes:-
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
All or Nothing – The Small Faces
Alright Now – Free
Badge - Cream
Back in the USSR - The Beatles
Black Magic Woman – Santana
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Born Under a Bad Sign - Cream
Can’t Buy Me Love – The Beatles
Can't Get Enough – Bad Company
Crossroads - Cream
Do it Again – Steely Dan
Foxey Lady - Jimi Hendrix
Further on up,the Road - Eric Clapton
Get Back – The Beatles
Get it On – T Rex
Gloria - Them
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Itchycoo Park – The Small Faces
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
Jumpin Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
Keep on Running – The Spencer Davis Group
Light My Fire – The Doors
Lola - The Kinks
Midnight Hour – Wilson Picket
Mustang Sally – Wilson Picket
No Matter What - Badfinger
Stay With Me - The Faces
Stuck in the Middle With You – Stealers Wheel
Superstition – Stevie Wonder
Sweet Home Chicargo - Eric Clapton
The Letter - Joe Cocker
The Stealer - Free
Want Somebody to Love – Jefferson Airplane
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zepplin
Wishing Well - Free
Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie