Below the Border - Vintage Rock & Blues
Below the Border are ex-professional musicians and recording artists from the 70s. Some of us had record contracts appearing on albums released on vinyl - yes, we are that old!
Our fee is surprisingly inexpensive because we don’t do this for the money anymore. We left the music business professionally decades ago - but you can read about our individual musical careers on the biographies page at our website - below-the-border
Now we play London music venues and private parties for the music and for the reward of seeing our audiences enjoy a great rock & blues band. We’ve lived long enough and we’ve done the miles to be outstanding players - so YOUR party could be a night that your guests will always remember!
We cover the classic songs that make people dance. The soundtrack of our youth from our favourite rock & blues artists:-
Cream, Free, David Bowie, T-Rex, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Faces, Steppenwolf, Steve Miller, Wilson Picket, BB King, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Badfinger, The Spencer Davis Group, etc.
We are friendly, easy-going and happy to meet your individual needs if we can. Just ask!
Do have a look at our video.
Tracy• Oct. 26, 2019
The band came to play for my dad's 70th birthday. Really friendly guys, who played all the classics, and even welcomed my dad up to play the drums. Everyone had a fab night and would definitely book them again. Thank you Below The Border
Alec Burghardt• Oct. 6, 2018
My God these guys can play! They were all professional musicians in the 70s, apart from their young singer Charlotte who’s wonderful, and some of them even had record contracts! They played all the hits from the psychedelic years, T Rex, The Small Faces, The Kinks, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Santana, The Beatles, . . . They had everybody dancing. One hit after another and they SOUND EXACTLY like the original 45 singles! The hits we all know just kept coming all night, stuff you just have to get up and dance to - even at our age! Keep on Running, Gimmie Some Loving, Twist and Shout (we did! Both!), Spirit in the Sky, Hang on Sloopy, Light my Fire, Stuck in the Middle With You, Alright Now, Can’t Get Enough, Come up and See Me . . . Wonderful stuff. We’ve decided to have a Christmas Party just to book this band! Can’t wait. They set up and sound checked without any fuss, sent us a contract before hand and played their sets exactly the times we asked. Lovely people. Thanks boys. Brilliant. See you all soon!
John Dohaughton• June 30, 2019
I booked the lads from Below the Border for my wife's 60th birthday party and they were exactly as described. Brilliant musicians one and all and they kept everyone dancing until well after midnight with popular rock hits from the 70s and that swingy blues stuff that you just HAVE to get up and dance to no matter how old your bones are. Lovely chaps too. Polite, eductated, down to earth, (clean!) and they have that dry sense of humour people who've been around have. I thoroughly recommend them. And we were AMAZED at how cheap they were. But as they said, they've done all this for real many years ago and they are not doing it now for the money. Just incredible guitar playing. Boys, long may you keep on truckin' as we used to say. Thanks thanks and thanks again.
John and Doreen
Old Tavern• April 13, 2019
Booked as Tangerine Scene who had split up and four of them did the gig in their new Rock & Blues 4 piece band called Below the Border.. And God were they good . . . playing rock and blues instead of pop. Fantastic twin lead guitarists, one of them a great front man and singer. Brilliant to hear stuff like Cream’s White Room, Hendrix’s Foxy Lady and other rock fav’s like Born to be Wild and Whole Lotta love played so well. The guitar solos were like the original records. Spellbinding!
Wendy• Oct. 26, 2018
Tangerine Scene were wonderful at a Birthday party at the Coburn Resturant in the City last week. People moved their tables aside to make more room to dance. Charlotte and the band played at a nice volume and gave us those brill songs from the 60s and 70s that everybody knows and wants to get up and dance to. During their first set people were still eating but Itchycoo Park, Stuck in the Middle with You, Sprit in the Sky and Son of a Preacher Man made people stand up and cheer! Brilliant band. The harmony vocals were fantastic and loved the sound of the organ. Amazing lead guitarist too. Thanks so much for entertaining everybody so well. Wendy x
Kevin• Sept. 7, 2018
My wife and I saw Tangerine Scene at a festival and we’re able to book them for my 60th birthday and retirement party. Our friends loved their music from the hippie years and Charlotte and the lads played all the hits we love remarkably well. The lads are great players and Charlotte is a brilliant singer. They made everybody dance their socks off. They are such a friendly bunch and we were so pleased they accepted our booking. Thank you Charlotte and the boys. Hope to catch you again. K x
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A five piece band of ex-pro musicians and recording artists from the 70s playing vintage Rock & Blues - songs you will know and want to dance to.
- What are the highlights of your career?We are all mature ex-pro musicians who had promising careers 150 years ago. Individually we’ve toured, had record contracts, been on television, been played on radio (such as John Peel’s show on BBC Radio One - we’re very old!). We’ve appeared with all sorts of people during our musical careers in our younger days: Georgie Fame, Gary Brooker. The Pretenders, Cheap Trick, Frankie Miller, The Real Thing. We all did a lot of miles back then, appearing at town halls, concert halls, big festivals - even Wembley Arena! ~
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Playing ability, experience, passion for something we’ve always done Our product is our USP - ex-professionals playing the sound track to our youth of the late 60s and early 70s. The music that got us started. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ We love seeing people dancing their socks off to the hits they also love, people swaying and singing . . . “There’s a star-man waiting in the sky, he’d like to come and meet us, but he’s scared he’ll blow our minds..” We love watching draws drop when Frank, our lead guitarist, plays solos exactly like Clapton on White Room or exactly like Jimi on Foxy Lady ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- What kind of events do you usually serve?We do a lot of parties these days. We try to limit ourselves to one gig a month. But you’ll still find us at London’s better music venues and of course we like to do at least one big festival each summer. (But our dirty little secret is that we absolutely love taking the roof off little rock pubs playing to working people in the suburbs - it’s the audience reaction we get off on, truth be told. Still big kids at heart!) We will do some corporate events and black-tie dinners - but we’re the ones at the back of the ballroom in Levi’s and our favourite ancient but meaningful T-shirts; if you want one of those corporate function bands in matching cheap suits that’s not us. (Some of us have to wear expensive suits 9 to 5, some of us are lucky enough to be retired early!)
- Who are your previous clients?Individually we’ve played at town halls, concert halls and universities all over the U.K.. In the 70s and 80s we’ve all played London’s fashionable rock venues such as the 100 club, the Rock Garden, The Golden Lion, The Half Moon Putney; big stage Festivals around Britain and Europe; at Birmingham’s famous ‘Railway’ venue in Digbeth as well as Barbarela’s; in blues clubs in Chicago (Frank was there with an 82 year old Freddie King just this summer - see one of our pics) and in night clubs around Europe (such as Spain’s prestigious Tito’s). But only one of us ever appeared at Wembley!!!
- How can event planners pay for your services?Bank transfer, PayPal, cash . . . Whatever suits you.
- How long do you play for?Minimum 45 minutes maximum 3 hours
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes we have our own PA and lights
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?Not a lot - we’ve done over 2,000 gigs between us over the years - we’re not fussy . . . any old corner with a mains socket will do.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Of course - we are very easy going
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We are ex pro musicians, we’ve all toured at some point in our careers . . . you tell us when you want us to have a break, you’re the customer and we are not teen flakes.
- Do you have more FAQs on your website.Indeed we do. Go to www.below-the-Border.com More pics and videos there
BELOW THE BORDER's SET LIST includes:-
All or Nothing – The Small Faces
Alright Now – Free
Badge - Cream
Back in the USSR - The Beatles
Black Magic Woman – Santana
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Born Under a Bad Sign - Cream
Can’t Buy Me Love – The Beatles
Can't Get Enough – Bad Company
Crossroads - Cream
Do it Again – Steely Dan
Foxy Lady - Jimi Hendrix
Further on up,the Road - Eric Clapton
Get Back – The Beatles
Get it On – T Rex
Gloria - Them
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Itchycoo Park – The Small Faces
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
Jumpin Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
Keep on Running – The Spencer Davis Group
Light My Fire – The Doors
Lola - The Kinks
Midnight Hour – Wilson Picket
Mustang Sally – Wilson Picket
No Matter What - Badfinger
Stay With Me - The Faces
Stuck in the Middle With You – Stealers Wheel
Superstition – Stevie Wonder
Sweet Home Chicargo - Eric Clapton
The Letter - Joe Cocker
The Stealer - Free
Want Somebody to Love – Jefferson Airplane
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zepplin
Wishing Well - Free
Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie