Below the Border - Vintage Rock & Blues
Below the Border are gifted players who individually had promising musical careers in the 70s & 80s. Some of us had record contracts, appearing on albums released on vinyl - yes, we are that old!
These days we play for fun - in London music venues or at YOUR party. Three of us came out of the 70s pop function band Tangerine Scene. Now we cover our favourite rock & blues artists:-
Cream, Free, Rory Gallagher, David Bowie, T-Rex, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Faces, Steppenwolf, Steve Miller, Wilson Picket, BB King, Led Zeppelin, Canned Heat, The Who, Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, Gary Moore, Atomic Rooster, The Spencer Davis Group, etc. We choose material that gets people up dancing.
Our fee is inexpensive. We’ve had grown-up careers for decades. We do this for the playing and the reward of seeing audiences enjoying the band . . . so YOUR party could be night to remember!
Alec Burghardt• 6 Oct 2018
My God these guys can play! They were all professional musicians in the 70s, apart from their young singer Charlotte who’s wonderful, and some of them even had record contracts! They played all the hits from the psychedelic years, T Rex, The Small Faces, The Kinks, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Santana, The Beatles, . . . They had everybody dancing. One hit after another and they SOUND EXACTLY like the original 45 singles! The hits we all know just kept coming all night, stuff you just have to...
Old Tavern• 13 Apr 2019
Booked as Tangerine Scene who had split up and four of them did the gig in their new Rock & Blues 4 piece band called Below the Border.. And God were they good . . . playing rock and blues instead of pop. Fantastic twin lead guitarists, one of them a great front man and singer. Brilliant to hear stuff like Cream’s White Room, Hendrix’s Foxy Lady and other rock fav’s like Born to be Wild and Whole Lotta love played so well. The guitar solos were like the original records. Spellbinding!
Kevin• 7 Sep 2018
My wife and I saw Tangerine Scene at a festival and we’re able to book them for my 60th birthday and retirement party. Our friends loved their music from the hippie years and Charlotte and the lads played all the hits we love remarkably well. The lads are great players and Charlotte is a brilliant singer. They made everybody dance their socks off. They are such a friendly bunch and we were so pleased they accepted our booking. Thank you Charlotte and the boys. Hope to catch you again. ...
John Dohaughton• 30 Jun 2019
I booked the lads from Below the Border for my wife's 60th birthday party and they were exactly as described. Brilliant musicians one and all and they kept everyone dancing until well after midnight with popular rock hits from the 70s and that swingy blues stuff that you just HAVE to get up and dance to no matter how old your bones are. Lovely chaps too. Polite, eductated, down to earth, (clean!) and they have that dry sense of humour people who've been around have. I thoroughly recommend the...
Wendy• 26 Oct 2018
Tangerine Scene were wonderful at a Birthday party at the Coburn Resturant in the City last week. People moved their tables aside to make more room to dance. Charlotte and the band played at a nice volume and gave us those brill songs from the 60s and 70s that everybody knows and wants to get up and dance to. During their first set people were still eating but Itchycoo Park, Stuck in the Middle with You, Sprit in the Sky and Son of a Preacher Man made people stand up and cheer! Brilliant ...
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A four piece band of ex-pro musicians and recording artists playing vintage Rock & Blues songs you will know and want to dance to.
- What are the highlights of your career?We are mature ex-pro musicians who have had long careers. Individually we’ve toured, had record contracts, been on television, been played on radio (such as John Peel’s show on BBC Radio One) and appeared with all sorts of people during our music careers in younger days: Georgie Fame, Gary Brooker. The Pretenders, Cheap Yrick, Frankie Miller, The Real Thing. ~
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Our product - ex-professionals playing the sound track to our hippie youth of the late 60s and early 70s. The music that got us started. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ We are playing the music we absolutely love and given out experience we play it exceedingly well and that is our competitive advantage. To be honest, the reward for us is learning this stuff EXACTLY like the original records and seeing our audiences appreciate that. People dancing their socks off to the hits they know and also love, people swaying and singing . . . “There’s a star-man waiting in the sky, he’d like to come and meet us, but he’s scared he’ll blow our minds..” ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Aside from our young lead singer we have all had our careers. We play a function about once a month . . . sometimes big events sometimes small parties. Yes we earn a few bob . . . we’re very good. But a lot of this for us is about the love of the music and being appreciated for playing it well. Personally I love it when people turn to look at our lead guitarist in the solos; not just because he’s note perfect off the record but because he SOUNDS exactly like Marc Bolan or Jimi Hendrix or Steve Marriott or George Harrison or, etc.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Music venues, festivals, rock pubs, parties, corporate events.
- Who are your previous clients?Individually we’ve played at universities & town halls around the UK; in London’s fashionable rock venues of the 70s & 80s such as the 100 club, The Rock Garden, The Golden Lion, The Half Moon Putney; big stage Festivals around the Auckland snd Europe; at Birmingham’s famous ‘Railway’ venue in Digbeth as well as Barbarela’s; in blues clubs in Chicago, in night clubs around Europe such as Spain’s prestigious Tito’s as well as at a number of black tie corporate shin-digs and weddings around the country.
- How can event planners pay for your services?Bank transfer, PayPal, cash . . . Whatever suits you.
- How long do you play for?Minimum 45 minutes maximum 3 hours
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes we have our own PA and lights
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?We’ve played on large festival stages over the summer and recently in a village church hall for a wedding anniversary in a corner . . . we’re not fussy . . . we are very customer friendly! We are doing this to play, not to make money or make a mark.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Of course - we are very easy going
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We are ex pro musicians, we’ve all toured at some point in our careers . . . you tell us when you want us to have a break, you’re type customer!
- Do you have more FAQs on your website.Indeed we do. Go to www.below-the-Border.com
BELOW THE BORDER's SET LIST includes:-
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
All or Nothing – The Small Faces
Alright Now – Free
Badge - Cream
Back in the USSR - The Beatles
Black Magic Woman – S...