Swingamathing are a truly 40's styled swing band. We pack a 'big band' punch in a small band package. Imagine yourself at a wartime village dance with a band playing favourite tunes ideal for dancing...that's us in a nutshell. We can fit into small venues but feel equally at home on a large stage. We have a female vocalist who has all the styling (both looks and sounds) you would expect. Our brass section truly sets us apart from so many other bands with authentic sounding arrangements that will take you back to that classic era. Our pianist, double bass player and drummer add the swing rhythms to package it all together into an amazingly authentic vintage, retro performance.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Truly authentic, 40's style, 7 piece swing band.
- What are the highlights of your career?We love playing at Chatsworth, the RHS flower show, the Christmas market or New Year's Eve. We also have great fun at Lindy hop dance events. I don't have one particular highlight both gigs have given me so much pleasure.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?I don't think there is another band like us in the North of England. We are totally true to the era but also manage to play songs that people recognise. We look and sound as if we have stepped out of a WW2 film set.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Celebrations such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries alongside public events such as fetes, wartime weekends, lindy hop and swing dances.
- How can event planners pay for your services?BAC transfer or cheque prior to the event or cash on the night, during set up please.
- How long do you play for?Two 45 minute sets or equivalent: For example three 30 minute sets or a 30 minute background set followed later by an hour more up-beat set. We can fit around your plans.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?WE have a variety of PAs to suit different sizes of venues. We have some subtle lighting . (not disco lights!)
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?Ideally we would like approximately 3m x 4m but we can fit into smaller spaces. Please consider the size of a drum kit, double bass and a keyboard alongside 3 brass players and a vocalist.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?This depends. If it is a standard Jazz tune that would fit into our style and repertoire, we can usually accommodate special requests. if it is a tune that requires a special arrangement then this would involve rehearsal time and incur a negotiated fee.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?Between our standard two 45 minute sets we would usually take half an hour break. We don't mind extending this to an hour without further fees. We are happy to shorten breaks to 15 minutes if that suits your plans.
- We are having a Gatsby themed party. Can you help us?Yes, a lot of our repertoire comes from that era and we can adjust our set list accordingly. We also have different outfits to wear that give the Gatsby/Peaky Blinders/flapper feel...
- We would like some quieter music for whilst people are eating, then step it up for dancing later. Is this something that you can offer?Yes, definitely. Our music can suit eaters and diners alike. We create tailored set lists for every event. During the planning stages I am happy to talk about these things.
- If I have any questions, can I talk to someone in the band?Yes, I am happy to talk through any concerns you may have. We can plan our set up, our set lists, timings, the atmosphere you want to achieve. We can talk about any aspect of the band's input to your event.
We use different set lists for every gig we do as we try to personalise it for the occasion. However, think of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima and you will know what we are like. We play tunes that you will recognise such as 'It don't Mean a Thing', 'My Baby Just Care for Me', 'In the Mood', 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' and also other fun tunes such as 'There ain't Anybody Here But Us Chickens', 'King of the Swingers' or 'Bring Me Sunshine'. We have a wide repetoire.