Hello! We're Silver Street Ceilidh Band - a fabulous ceilidh band based in London.
“Best ceilidh ever!” – Rachel, wedding
We play beautiful, lively, irresistibly danceable music for all occasions. We're an eclectic group of some of the finest musicians on the scene, with roots in the rich seam of traditional music in Scotland and the North East of England. We boast decades of experience of playing for dancing between us (as well as a BBC Radio 2 Folk Award) despite our youthful looks! We know how to ensure you - and your guests - have a fabulous time!
The lineup is: Caller, dual fiddles, melodeon and piano.
Miriam Richardson• 15 Jun 2018
This is a great band, very accomplished and Martin is a very good caller as well as being a brilliant violinist! All players did a great job, the music is lively and the pace is just right. We enjoyed a great evening of dancing at our friends’ marriage a few weeks ago, it was fun throughout. Highly recommend!
Caroline• 2 Mar 2019
"We were so pleased we had booked Martin and the SIlver Street Ceilidh Band for our awards night. From first contact to the night itself they were friendly, fun and professional. Their music and calling got everyone up dancing and was just what we needed. The only down side was that being an awards night, the speeches went on a bit and we didn't have as much of the band as we would have liked. It was very easy booking through Poptop.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Thank you Martin....
Matt• 6 Jul 2019
We had a great experience from start to finish with these guys.
Martin and I had a good chat through things over the phone in advance of our wedding to answer some of my questions and work out a few logistics and finer details. Martin was very reassuring and accommodating and followed up promptly with details as promised.
On the big day, the band were fantastic. They got themselves set up and adapted without any trouble to a delayed start (our meal had overrun). The music sounded great and...
Rachel• 11 Aug 2018
Silver Street Ceilidh are very professional band who were a pleasure to deal with throughout the booking process and on the day. The band was lively, got everyone up dancing and the instructions from the caller were very clear. We had such a fun evening and received lots of positive comments from our guests, many of whom had never been to a ceilidh before. I would definitely book them again and highly recommend them to anyone looking for an energetic and enthusiastic band. Thanks!
Patrick McCrudden• 22 Jul 2019
Fantastic in every way. So easy to work with before the event and then on the night it was just so fun. They are able to create a great atmosphere and encourage everyone to participate or enjoy watching. Great musicians and very flexible.
- What are the highlights of your career?Any occasion where we get a hall full of people dancing and grinning from ear to ear with fun
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings, birthday parties, anniversaries, community event, club/society social events, work parties, corporate functions, Burns Night
- Who are your previous clients?Usually private individuals, but also schools, charities, businesses, clubs and societies - anyone who wants a ceilidh really
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?PA yes, but we don't usually provide lighting. (The important bit is the dancing rather than fancy lighting on the band)
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?We can usually be flexible and work with what's available, but ideally at least about 5m*3m for the band, and plenty of space for people to dance. Think the size of a village hall - but it depends on your numbers, obviously!
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?We're a ceilidh dance band - we play traditional tunes from across the UK, Ireland and elsewhere, and most of the dances we call are Scottish and English. If you have something specific in mind please let us know and we'll see what we can do.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?It depends on your timings, but usually either none or one depending on how energetic your guests are feeling and how much music and dancing we can fit in. We prefer to play more rather than less - so the keener people are to get up and dance, the more music and dancing we can do in the time available. For example: - If you only end up having an hour and a quarter for your ceilidh, we'd probably prefer to play straight through and not take a break - If you have three hours for a ceilidh, we'd probably suggest doing two halves of up to an hour and ten or so each, and have a 40 minute break in the middle.
- I've never done ceilidh dancing before - is this really for me?Yes - ceilidhs are fantastic, especially first time! They're one of the most fun, lively and inclusive types of event you can have. Our expert caller helps you through the dances at every stage. It's really easy, and there's just one objective: have fun!
We do all the popular ceilidh dances including:
Circassian circle, Gay Gordons, Dashing White Sergeant, Cumberland Square Eight, Strip the Willow...
If there's a dance or tune you'd particular like us...