Sax player from north west U.K.
Based in Southport
'Having been brought up in a musical environment, it was inevitable that Mike would make a name for himself as an artist in his own right, but not without earning his spots first.
Mike has paid his dues as a sideman over the last fifteen years with the likes of Craig David, Heather Small, Elkie Brooks, Kid Creole, ABC and Sandi Thom.
Mike was asked to head up the international brand CREAM as their sax player for the CREAM CLASSICS tour in 2016 with K-Klass and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
A musician from the age of 10, he went onto study at LIPA and his diverse and wide ranging experience have given him the kudos amongst his peers and become one of the most sought after sax players in the industry.
Mike has three of his own albums out on the 'playing with sound' record label under his brand name of @gingertunes'
Claire Bassnett• April 14, 2019
Was very good had him for my baby shower and it was just perfect
Kim Young• Nov. 16, 2018
Mike was truly amazing!!!! Would definitely recommend! The dance floor was full!! Thank you!!!
ticketmaster UK• Feb. 17, 2018
"Over the past near thirty years, Cream has dominated Liverpool nightlife. From its imperious weekly reign of the nineties up to its present-day incarnation of global superbrand, the goliath has evolved and towered above others, managing to remain relevant to a huge audience of clubbers from every generation of that three-decade dominance.
The Cream Classical concept has been one such example of that ability to evolve. The re-emergence of the older raver in recent years has dovetailed with Cream's knack for somehow making the dance music revisionist agenda fresh. This hasn't just been about giving the more seasoned dancefloor denizen the chance to hear the records that soundtracked their youth, instead welcoming an experience that appeals equally to the younger generation at the same time.
Placing Cream Classical in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral has been part of the masterstroke. By picking a building which quite literally looms over the city, the brand has managed to get its own bragging rights about the clubs and classical trend. If you're going to be involved in what is now quite a saturated marketplace, you need to do it properly. Cream not only bring their heritage but also the brass balls to pull off something once again on this epic scale.
This third edition had a lot to live up to, with the 2016 and 2017 Cream Classical experiences lingering long in the memory. As ever the set-list was rejuvenated, with the theme for this doubleheader Cream Ibiza, the brand's longest-running and arguably most wide-reaching residency which still holds strong.
In terms of the venue itself, none of the previous magic and aura had been dimmed. We've said it before, but there really is nothing quite like walking into this ecclesiastical paradise, whether a first-timer or a veteran long converted to its gloriously gothic charms. Liverpool Cathedral is easily one of the most impressive within Europe, and Cream once more bathed the environ in stunning light, sharp green lasers and smoke regularly piercing the walls.
The music was equally on point, with the set-list bulging with records that defined different tiers of the Balearic experience. Obvious radio friendly crowd pleasers coursed through the venue's walls, Groove Armada's evergreen 'Superstylin' joined by a particularly raucous rendition of Shapeshifters' feel-good anthem 'Lola's Theme', but there was also time for more introspective cuts which made excellent use of the orchestra's full capabilities.
Once such example was a simply stunning rendition of Silicone Soul's 'Right On', the delightful bittersweet strings of one of the most beautiful house music records of all time coming into their own in this space. That, along with a joyous re-imagining of the Source and Candi Staton's Jamie Principle aping 'You've Got The Love'., probably proved the sound based highlughts of the night.
And it being Cream Ibiza trance obviously came to the play. The genre's late nineties heyday has had a bit of a purple patch recently, DJs such as Nina Kraviz and Denis Sulta dipping into the sound whilst the likes of Gatecrasher have made a comeback, but it's rarely been delivered with such grandiose splendour as here."
laura delamar• Sept. 16, 2017
“Oh Mike! You made our wedding, everyone is still raving about the sax man! I think I've got you lined up for the next weddings of my friends plus their friends! Thank you so much! Laura Delamar (Wedding) 10/10”
Laura• Sept. 7, 2017
My husband and I can't thank Mike enough for really bringing music to life at our wedding. He is professional, reliable and plays exceptionally; his experience shines! Highly recommend! Thank you from ourselves and all guests!”
danielle wallwork• Aug. 5, 2017
“Hi Mike, We just wanted to say an enormous Thank you for playing at our wedding at West Tower. Having not heard you play in person beforehand it was a big risk but one that definitely payed off. We absolutely loved everything you played and have had so many compliments off guests who agreed that it was the best drinks reception imaginable. The party atmosphere set us up for the rest of the day!! Can’t thank you enough and will hopefully get to hear you play again soon. Many Thanks Danielle & Scott x”
Services From Mike Smith Saxophonist
Saxophone Player For Your Drinks Reception - 2 x 45 Minutes
Jazz Duo - 2 x 45 Minutes
Sax Player With Your DJ - 2 Hours
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A very popular saxophonist from the North West, known for his work with Cream Classical and household names such as Elkie Brooks, ABC, Craig David etc
- What are the highlights of your career?Having been brought up in a musical environment, it was inevitable that Mike would make a name for himself as an artist in his own right, but not without earning his spots first. Mike has paid his dues as a sideman over the last fifteen years with the likes of Elkie Brooks, Kid Creole, Heather Small, ABC and Sandi Thom, Mike was asked to work alongside the international brand CREAM as their sax and keys player for the CREAM CLASSICS tour in 2016-2018 with K-Klass and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. A musician from the age of 10, he went onto study at the prestigious Livrpool Institute for Performing Arts, where he now teaches saxophone. His diverse and wide ranging experience have given him kudos amongst his peers and he has become one of the most sought after sax players in the area. Mike has three of his own albums out on the 'playing with sound' record label under his brand name of @gingertunes' www.gingertunes.co.uk
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Very experienced and friendly
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings and Events
- Who are your previous clients?Cream, Bose, McDonalds, P&O Cruises, Elkie Brooks, Rolls Royce, Rolex etc...
- How can event planners pay for your services?bank transfer
- How long do you play for?upto 2 hours
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?PA yes
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?yes
- How much space do you require?a few meters
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?if I'm given enough time, sure!
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?usually 15 min beaks
- What style of music do you offer?jazz, blues, ibiza, chillout
- Is it possible to request something that's not in the repertoire?yes
- Do you do open-air acts?all the time
- How long is the act?2x 45 mins
- What other services to you provide?sax duo (with guitar)
Heres a sample of my repertoire.
It includes (but is not limited to) the following:
Club Ibiza style
The man with the red face
Hed Kandi etc
A million love songs
Get Lucky (Duo)
Rolling in the deep (Duo)
Let there be love
My Baby just cares for me
Don't know why
Isn't she lovely
When I Fall In Love
We Have All The Time In The World
Come away with me
What A Wonderful World
Me & Mrs Jones
Kiss From A Rose
Here There And Everywhere
Come Away With Me
I Am Blessed
I'll Make Love To You
Tears In Heaven
Nobody Does It Better
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
Have I Told You Lately
How Deep Is Your Love
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Lonely This Christmas
Merry Christmas Everybody
Mistletoe & Wine
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa Claus is Coming To Town
The Christmas Song
Hark The Herald
Mary's Boy Child
O Little Town Of Bethlehem
Once In Royal David's City