“Joanna Rimmer sings pure jazz without compromising, with technical excellence and intonation; all things which have to be learnt. She has at her interpretative strength absolute respect of the actual melody – Jazz through and through - and has a capacity to rejuvenate the great standards from the past, above all, of the Great American Songbook. But there’s more to it than that: I would say a complete respect towards the public which translates to knowing how to bring to life a stage and of knowing how to make, whoever is listening, feel at ease through witty and intelligent presentations of the tunes. The public of Offagna Jazz Festival in Italy, were left utterly bewitched by her and quite rightly dedicated to her a standing ovation. Here, in the midst of all this sloven vulgarity of nowadays; Joanna Rimmer has under her belt a professionalism that is long lost, and what stands out is an intelligence, an elegance, and grace; of expressive intensity. Brava Joanna: we look forward to your second concert for us!”
Massimo Tarabelli (Ancona Jazz Festival, Italy) 2009.
The feel of the Jazz I search to create is that from Jazz's golden era, 40's through to the 60's all of which inspired by the finest Jazz vocalists of the day: Sarah Vaughan, Carmen McRae.
Since childhood I have been singing the masterpieces composed by George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, plus I also sing during my gigs compositions of my own.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Vocal Jazz music that respects artistic originality.
- What are the highlights of your career?Having performed in various important Jazz Festivals and TV work.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?A Jazz that appeals to strict Jazz followers and also people hearing Jazz for the first time. A project that can be presented in Jazz festivals and also more commercial settings.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Everything from Jazz Festivals to private events.
- Who are your previous clients?Jazz Festival organisers in Italy (where I lived for 27yrs) and organisers in the UK (Mr. Geoff Mathews in Southport). Rai TV in Italy. Maestro Paolo Lepore of the Jazz Studio Orchestra in Puglia Italy. Cultural organisers of many councils in Italy.
- How can event planners pay for your services?Cash or bank transfer.
- How long do you play for?It depends on the type of concert. It can vary from an hour to 2 hours.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?A small PA system for smaller gigs yes.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?No.
- How much space do you require?Depends on the number of musicians and what instruments are involved.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Yes of course !!
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?It all depends on the length of the gig. For example after an hour of playing a 10 minute break would be handy.
- If a client were to kindly ask us to lower the volume could we ?Yes of course.
- If a client decided to ask us to cut the length of the gig would we ?Yes, but the fee for the gig would remain as previously established
Jazz standards (songs that derive from the American Songbook).