We are Dr Butler’s Hatstand Medicine Band, a travelling troupe of musicological minstrels, peddling our unique good-time tonic to all four corners of the land. Made from a secret combination of early blues and jazz forms, a sprinkle of ragtime, a dash of hot swing, the essence of sweet spiritual, a pinch of the oldest of old-timey melodies and a teaspoon of Vaudevillian and Music Hall showoffery, all whisked together with the most esoteric of folk rhythms. The result is a surpassingly melodious music which is replete with tones of joy and fulfilment. This harmonic medicine is a natural aid to titillation and is a guaranteed restorer of vitality, vim and vigour.
Allow us present to you our good-time rags and reels, show stoppers and sight stealers; music for foot stomping and toe tickling that joins hearts with flesh whilst invigorating the thinking mind. We stand before you as harbingers of gentility, bearers of ingenuity, possessors of conviviality, enhancers and champions of upright and virtuous behaviour and caretakers of chivalric honour. As a morally good band our presentations are entirely exempt from the vulgarities and other objectionable features which have hitherto characterized good-time musical extravaganzas.
Ed Bullough• May 11, 2019
What can I say, they were amazing. Great communication in the lead up made it very easy to organise. Looking forward to seeming them play again sometime soon hopefully. Thanks so much.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:We are good-time band from Manchester. Our music brings together influences from early blues and jazz forms, ragtime, country and folk idioms, alongside Vaudeville and Music Hall traditions.
- What are the highlights of your career?Since forming the band in 2006 we have had many highlights. Being invited to perform on the set of Coronation Street for the soaps 50th Anniversary and performing with cast members is certainly one of them. Another would be when we were asked to represent Great Britain at the prestigious Ferrara Buskers festival.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?We are equally at home performing on a festival stage to several thousand people as we are playing acoustically at a family fun day.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Any, from festival stages and music venues to local community events.
- Who are your previous clients?Previous Festivals The Secret Garden Party Camp Bestival Kendal Calling The Big Chill The Larmer Tree Festival Llama Festival Grillstock Manchester International Festival Beat-Herder Preston Egg Rolling D-Percussion Festival A Day at the Lake (www.dayatthelake.org.uk) Beer Passion Weekend (Antwerp, Belgium) Manchester Museums at Night Matthew Street Festival, Liverpool Dove Holes Jazz Festival Bridlington Seafood festival Manchester Food and Drink Festival Salford Food and Drink Festival Bury Light Nights The Girl Guides Centennial, 2010 Transatlantic 175 Vintage by the Sea Kendal Mintfest London Burlesque Festival Bathing Beauties Beach Festival, Mablethorpe Just So Festival The Duro Jazz Festival (Portugal) Ferrara Buskers Festival (Italy) Zinc Blues Festival (Beauvais, France) Crissier Blues Festival (Switzerland) Fish and Chips Festival (Rouen, France) Private Engagements Over the last ten years we have been booked to perform at private events organised by clients in both the public and private sectors. Some of these include: Hermes Hendricks Gin Bury Transport Museum Harvey’s Furniture Manchester University ITV (Coronation Street’s 50th Anniversary, 2010) The BBC Sky Arts Channel 4 Dispatches Liverpool One Blackburn Museum Manchester Art Gallery Leeds Art Gallery Manchester City Council Southwark Housing Association Urban Splash
- How can event planners pay for your services?Any method.
- How long do you play for?Between 30 mins and 3 hours.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?We have a PA for smaller events but we can arrange a PA system to suit any occasion. We do not have any Lighting.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes.
- How much space do you require?Enough space for five men standing. We regularly perform on the folk train so we are well used to squeezing into tight spots.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Yes.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?This would depend on how long you would require us to play.
Full PA provided