Blag play a variety of Celtic and World music, from Irish Ballads and Scottish Jigs to Flamenco and Gypsy Jazz. They perform regularly in Britain and in festivals throughout Europe. All the musicians in the group are professionals that have trained at music college, made records and have performed on both T.V. and radio, including being featured in 'Loose Ends' on Radio 4.
Michael Pinsky started playing the fiddle at six. He has played in folk groups in Scotland from the age of 11 who’s members have become players in leading Scottish bands such a ‘Capercaille’ and ‘Shoogleniffty’ and with leading jazz players such a Courtney Pine in the ‘Grand Union Orchestra’. His ability to play both folk and jazz creates a unique fiddle style.
David Morgan played acoustic guitar with ‘Golage’, in Brighton, which later formed ‘Stomp’ an extremely successful percussion, performance group that have toured the world, playing on Broadway in New York and the Royal Festival Hall in London. His vast range of techniques, from bluegrass fingerpicking to a driving syncopated Irish rhythm style gives a rich harmony to Blag repertoire.
Ade Harris was a member of the influential punk group ‘Peter and the Test Tube Babies’. His playing provides the power-house behind the Blag sound.
Blag are based in London. The band regularly plays Balls, Weddings, Parties and Corporate Events.
James Whale exclaimed when he heard us that “Blag play the most eclectic mix of music I have ever heard” on Drive Time LCB 97.3
Ned Sherrin commented that "Blag have been delighting audiences with their feisty mix gypsy jazz and groovesome celtic folk" on Loose Ends Radio 4 when we played a surprise song for Melvyn Bragg.
Danny Godfrey, music organiser for the Queen's College (Cambridge) May Ball wrote; "Blag's music was irresistibly danceable. Their energetic and extremely skilled performance created a highly festive air. Their interpretations of folk music were as original as it was entertaining. I would not hesitate in recommending this hugely professional band."
Chris P• March 23, 2019
We booked Blag for our wedding in March and they totally incredible. Since the big day all of our guests have commented to us how fantastic the band were. Communication beforehand was straightforward and responses were quick, we really couldn't recommend them enough. Thanks Michael and David!
lady sarah Hemphill• March 18, 2019
David & the band were a great success. Thank you for organizing things. They gave the party huge atmosphere & everyone commented on them. They were charming, polite, & played almost non-stop after a particularly busy wend. I will certainly recommend them........... xx
Sarah Turnbull• Jan. 26, 2019
"Blag were fantastic at our Burns night celebration last night, they were very flexible with our timings and played two brilliant sets. The communication beforehand was great which really put me at ease before they arrived.
Both sets were so great that they managed to get almost everyone on the dance floor all night!
I would have no hestitation in recommending Blag and look forward to booking them for our next event."
Judy price• Sept. 8, 2018
Great sound, friendly and adaptable. The band arrived on time and kept everyone very well entertained. We all had a great time
Cheryl Talbot• March 17, 2018
Very talented musicians & great for St Patrick's Night. Wasn't everyone's cup of tea & would have liked a few more tunes that we all knew and coukd dance to, but on the whole we had a positive feedback.
Maggie Gove• Feb. 24, 2018
We booked Blag for our Golden Wedding. They were excellent. They played soft music whilst we were eating then organised the barn dancing. All our guests were very impressed and, I understand, several asked for their contact details.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Blag play a variety of Celtic and World music, from Irish Ballads and Scottish Jigs to Flamenco and Gypsy Jazz. They perform regularly in Britain and in festivals throughout Europe. All the musicians in the group are professionals that have trained at music college, made records and have performed on both T.V. and radio.
- What are the highlights of your career?Being featured in 'Loose Ends' on Radio 4 and playing for Microsoft for managers party in Bali on the beach.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Very diverse set, flexible and friendly.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings, corporate functions and parties
- Who are your previous clients?Private Clients, BBC, Ealing Studios, Microsoft, Ritz amongst many others.
- How can event planners pay for your services?Bank Transfer or Cash
- How long do you play for?Two hours
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes
- How much space do you require?A small space!
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?That depends, if we are given enough notice and the song is suitable for our line up.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?One break for twenty to thirty minutes.
Blag have a repertoire of over fifty songs, including Irish jigs, reels and ballads, other Celtic tunes, Latin American songs, pop covers, flamenco, Eastern European dance tunes, bluegrass, stomp, blues, jazz and swing standards.
Irish and Scottish Classics:
Rocky Road to Dublin
Whisky in the Jar - Thin Lizzy
Dirty Old Town - The Pogues
Auld Lang Syne
Toss the Feathers - The Corrs
Reels and Jigs:
Dashing White Sergeant
Drops of Brandy
Irish Merry Making
Deil among the Tailors
Drowsy Maggie/Tam Lin
Ten penny jig
Rocky Road to Dublin
Don't Pay the Poll Tax
Latin and Bluegrass:
Chan Chan - Buena Vista Social Club
Oye como va - Santana
Bolero - Gypsy King's
Hotel California - Gypsy Kings
Sweet Georgia Brown - Stéphane Grappelli
All Of Me - Stéphane Grappelli
Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under the Bridge
Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
The Waterboys - Sunny Afternoon
Van Morrison - Moondance
Manu Chao - Por el Suelo
Robbie Williams - Millennium
Oasis - Wonderwall
The Doors - People are Strange
Thin Lizzy - Whisky in the Jar
The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
The Beatles - Norwegian Wood
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
and many more....