A lively folk / covers / ceilidh band with tunes from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, America and England.
We are available for performing concerts, barn dances, ceilidhs, corporate events and everything in between, in the venue of your choice, be it a stately home or your back garden!
We perform a range of music (both songs and tunes) from a broad repertoire and era from traditional folk to modern classics.
We can cater for specific and traditional Irish or Scottish Ceilidhs, although for most Barn Dance / Ceilidhs we keep broad, unless specified.
Booking us for your wedding? Here is some more info!
Your wedding day is important to you, and it’s important to know that everything is in hand.
We have a few different wedding services that we can offer, but we are also flexible – so if you want to combine parts, or mix and match or have a different idea, do talk to us!
Want some music to walk down the Aisle too? Something to listen too while signing the register? Something for your guests between while you share a drink? Our Guitarist and Violinist can provide a lovely backdrop of music to keep you entertained, either playing requested music (with enough notice) or simply providing you something relaxed and beautiful.
If you have a special song you would like the band to learn, please do talk to us and we will try everything to make it special for you.
What do you do?
Stomping Boondocks basically operate as a function / ceilidh band. We are a celtic folk band at our roots, with traditional songs, jigs and reels from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England (as well as a few American and Nordic ones!). We also do covers, such as Sweet Home Alabama and Beautiful Day, so we cover off a fair number of options.
I want a function band.
We have a great mixture of ever growing songs, tunes and covers, from traditional folk to Ed Sheeran and The Levellers. If you'd prefer instrumental, we can do that too!
I want a Ceilidh.
Translated, a Ceilidh (Kay-Lee), is a traditional Scottish or Irish social event, with traditional music and dancing. Think of it like a Barn Dance!
Within our band we have a Caller. Our Caller's job is to teach you the dance moves and ensure you roughly know what to do! Our Caller will also ensure there's always people on the dance floor - probably while cracking a joke and making sure everyone is simply having a really good time!
This is a very, very fun evening – you’ll be surprised by just how many people actually really do enjoy themselves – especially when they see all their friends making a fool of themselves.
But don’t worry, we wont make fun of you – if you give us enough encouragement we might even join you for a dance!
Is Ceilidh dancing hard?
Not at all! There are some experts out there, particularly the Scottish and Irish amongst us! However, we have performed ceilidhs for children, retirement communities and all manner of ages and abilities in between. Our Caller is specifically there to assist you throughout the dances. Plus, its always more fun if it goes a little bit wrong!!
What about when you’re not playing?
We will normally have a short break halfway through in order to give everyone a rest. When this happens, we'll have a genre specific playlist ready to go. Unless you ask for anything specific, it will suit the theme of the night and not be too dissimilar to our own style. If you'd rather your own playlist, just tell us what you'd like and we will ensure it's ready to go as soon as we're done.
Genevieve England• Sept. 14, 2018
Our charity hired the Stomping Boondocks for an event celebrating our volunteers. The band were brilliant from the get-go. They were incredible, efficient, punctual, flexible, and laid back as well as being excellent musicians! They managed to get a quite difficult crowd up and doing some fabulous ceilidh dance moves and did some excellent covers of songs later on in the night. Would really recommend them for any event you are planning,
Carol Cocks• Sept. 8, 2018
"Amazing ! the band were great everyone enjoyed the banter and the music quality, they were punctual and efficient kept in contact and answered all my queries
I would definitely recommend them to anyone
Jennifer Winter• May 18, 2018
Stomping Boondocks were a pleasure to work with and all of our guests were raving about them. Three guests wanted the band's details and were inspired to think about planning their own ceilidh fundraisers. We had such a fun evening. Thank you!
Atty• Feb. 10, 2018
"Stomping Boondocks played my Viking themed 50th birthday party and were awesome!
They had the crowd up dancing early and everyone had a great night. The music was spot on.
Cheers guys for a fantastic night!"
Denise• Jan. 23, 2016
Hired the band for our School Burns Night and was blown away by their professionalism and performance! They had all our staff on their feet to dance the night away. Lovely friendly guys, would not hesitate to book them again! Cannot recommend them highly enough!
Lisa Duff• Nov. 4, 2016
Stomping Boondocks were available to stand in at very last minute when our original band dropped out, and we've had nothing but good feedback about the music and have booked them again for our Summer Fete!
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A Ceilidh / Barn Dance / Folk band, providing lively entertainment for your function or wedding. We have vast experience performing as a Ceilidh band (with caller), alongside playing festivals and pubs as a more common function band.
- What are the highlights of your career?Performing at weddings across the UK and Europe. Performing at festivals in the South of England.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?We have accumulated over 60 years of folk / ceilidh experience, with a dedicated caller and an extensive repertoire of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English tunes. We also bring a lively affair, rather than being a drab band, we bring a LOT of energy and enthusiasm to our performances.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings / Corporate Functions / Festivals / Special Days (St Patricks Day, Burns Night etc) / Birthday Parties
- How can event planners pay for your services?BACS transfer, Cash, Cheque, Paypal
- How long do you play for?This is entirely dependent on the event and the requirements, although we do ask for a break every one hour fifteen minutes, to give everyone a quick rest! We will provide music while we break.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Yes - full high end PA System, Lighting and all other required equipment. All PAT tested.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Fully PAT tested and Public Liability Insurance up to £10m - certificate is available on request
- How much space do you require?We are a five piece band, with drummer, guitarist, bass player, fiddle player and caller. As such, we need a bit of space, but just ask, as we can slim down quite easily!
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Please ask! Our list is in no way extensive, it is there just to give you a flavour of what we do. We may already know it! If not, given enough notice, we can learn it!
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?Normally one every hour and a half or so, however, this entirely depends on your requirements. These can be 5 minutes, or, we can break while evening meals are served or whatever it might be. We will NEVER leave you with silence unless requested, and will ensure some appropriate music is played while we break.
- What style of music do you offer?Irish, Scottish, Folk, Covers.
- Is it possible to request something that's not in the repertoire?It is definitely possible, and we will always try our best to meet all requests.
- Do you do open-air acts?Of course.
- Do you have a caller?We do! Our Caller has around 20 years of Ceilidh experience, calling at traditional Irish, Scottish and un-traditional events!
Tunes, Jigs & Reels
We put together our set lists with an ever evolving selection of traditional tunes to accompany our dances, here are just a few:
Rochdale Coconut Dance
Jump At The Sun
Auld Lang Syne
John Ryan’s Polka
King of The Faeries
Ten Penny Bit
Whilst everyone loves a good ol’ dance, nothing beats singing along to your favourites! Get your voices warmed up ready for these:
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Tell Me Ma - Traditional
Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Come On Eileen - Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Wake Me Up - Avicii
Beautiful Day - The Levellers
Drunken Sailor - Traditional
London Town - Bellowhead
Irish Rover - Traditional
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
In The Morning - Razorlight
The Request Show!
Are you looking for a specific tune or song that isn’t listed above? There’s a good chance we know it, or can provide it for your booking.