After moving from Gloucestershire aged 16 to study music, Ruby is now a full time singer, cellist and pianist. She is London based and accompanies herself with cello or piano or performs on either solo without vocals. She also sings acapella or alongside another accompanist if a client wishes. Ruby has been performing in churches, at weddings and similar events from a young age and has huge experience in different audience situations.
Lizzie Thick• Dec. 13, 2018
Ruby sang for us at our charity concert in aid of Maggie's Cancer care and was a joy. She filled the church and was professional throughout.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?I have performed mainly at weddings and live gigs but also local beer festivals, small fetes, birthdays etc.
- How long do you play for?Set lengths will depend on what the client wishes. I can sing one song at an event or up to 2 hours of cello and/or piano/vocals.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?I have my own simple PA but not lighting as it usually doesn't suit the mood and set up.
- How much space do you require?Not much! Depending on whether you wish for me to play both piano and cello, the space will vary. Either way, both instruments can be neatly tucked away or spread out for a bigger set up.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?I am happy to learn a song per event that is not on my repertoire list, any other special songs you require after this are an extra £30
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?I tend to do 2 30 minute sets with a 10 minute break inbetween. This is the case for both cello and piano performance.
- Will you attend the wedding rehearsal?No, I don't attend wedding rehearsals but I am happy to discuss as much as you need to before the event and will be in contact 3-4 days before the big day.
- What do you usually wear?I usually wear dressy black but I am happy to wear something more colourful if you wish
- What does the usual wedding set require?These are the points during a wedding service that people usually require music; whether it be me playing solo cello or singing a special song or two. 20 mins light cello music prior to the processional The wedding party’s processional The bride’s processional Any special parts of the ceremony i.e. in place of a hymn As the signing of the register, often a quiet moment The recessional Postlude; 5-10 minutes of music following the recessional, as people leave
Ruby is extremely versatile and performs an eclectic mix of pop and jazz songs or has a set list of standard classical repertoire. All set lists can be catered to the client and Ruby is more than happy to perform a song that is important to a couple or person. In the past, Ruby has performed one or two songs during the wedding ceremony in the church.
She can perform classical repertoire for shorter or longer periods of time on cello. This is something you can discuss with her so it fits your event in the best way possible. Pieces include the Bach solo cello suites, the Vivaldi cello sonatas and Saint Säens' famous ' The Swan'.
Set 25 wedding songs, accompanied by myself on piano:
1 Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
2 All of Me - John Legend
3 What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
4 Into My Arms - Nick Cave
5 Tired of Being Alone - Al Green
6 You Are The Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne
7 How Long Will I Love You - The Waterboys/Ellie Goulding (more commonly known)
8 My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
9 When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
10 At Last - Etta James
11 Everything - Michael Buble
12 If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
13 Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli
14 The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
15 Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel
16 Baby I'm Yours - Arctic Monkeys
17 Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley
18 Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra
19 You've Got a Friend - Carole King
20 The Luckiest - Ben Folds
21 Let It Be - The Beatles
22 Marry You - Bruno Mars
23 Crazy Love - Van Morrison
24 Make You Feel My Love - Adele
25 For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder