Lunch Special are an international stringband based in London, playing a mix of bluegrass, old-time and gospel originals and treasures. Taking their inspiration from their diverse backgrounds spanning Hong Kong, America, Italy, Norway, Ireland and finally settling in London, the trio play off-kilter originals and buried classics with a soulful, raucous energy.
Firmly on the ascent, Lunch Special were selected last year after being freshly formed, to play at the AMA UK Showcase, are playing at major UK festivals this summer and are headlining some of England's best known bluegrass festivals. They are releasing their forthcoming E.P this summer and debut album in December, recorded and produced in the U.S by Jimmy Prendergast.
We have been compared to Dolly Parton, Della Mae and The Stray Birds but just as easily are comparable with old brother duos from the bluegrass heyday.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A soulful bluegrass stringband with a tonne of energy and soul
- What are the highlights of your career?Selected to be an Americana UK Showcase act Playing at Glastonbury Having our EP and forthcoming EP produced by someone who has played with all of the major bluegrass artists of the last 20 years and appeared onstage with every Opry star.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Close vocal harmonies, women in bluegrass (there aren't many), beautifully arranged modern bluegrass/old-time
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Corporate, weddings, private parties
- Who are your previous clients?Somerset House
- How can event planners pay for your services?Invoice
- How long do you play for?Usually 2 x 45 minute sets but we are flexible
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?Own PA, no lighting
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes to both
- How much space do you require?Small space is sufficient
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Within reason, with a good lead in time, yes!
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We are again totally flexible - we are happy to do what you need
Whiskey before breakfast
Billy in the low ground
St. Anne’s Reel