"Thank you so much for entertaining the guests at our wedding, I cannot recommend you enough. I had been panicking about the drinks reception being too long and people getting bored, but the guests seemed disappointed when they were called for the wedding breakfast and it was time for you to go. Having never booked any sort of entertainment for a party before, we were not sure what to expect with either the magic or the comedy side but we couldn’t decide what you were better at, they were both equally brilliant. Everyone was amazed with your ability to make people belly laugh whilst performing brilliant tricks. Thank you for helping make our day stress free."
As one of the few full time magicians in the North West of England, John works as a close up magician and comedian at corporate events, weddings and private parties all over the UK.
"John doesn’t leave anything to chance. I was so impressed with the professionalism that he showed throughout the event. Any fears that I had were put to bed when I witnessed him working the crowd into a frenzy. He will leave your guests flabbergasted!"
If you're having a party, let me take the worry out of your event by giving your guests a fabulous time, allowing you to sit back and enjoy your big day!
As an award winning comedian, John brings laughter to his close up magic and gets your guests laughing, as well as being amazed by the magic.
"Not only is John a great magician but he is an amazing entertainer, he had us all laughing together…"
Past clients include: Pepsi, AstraZeneca, Unilver, Tesco, Paddy Power and Bae Systems. John is also the resident matchday magician at Everton FC, where he performs in the corporate lounges before every home game!
I've worked for some of the biggest companies in the world, and I'm also a member of Equity and have £10,000,000 of Public Liability Insurance, so you know that you're in safe hands!
"Not only are you getting a magician for your money you are getting someone that is sure to make you laugh out loud!"
"Our guests were in a combination of hysterics and bewilderment throughout the performance, one of them said “what ever you paid for that guy…it was worth it!”
"Everyone from my 4 year old nephew to my 90 year old grandfather thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. I didn’t realise you were also a comedian! My brother and I provide the best barbecue ever, and all everyone wants to talk about is YOU!"
HALEY CAINE• Oct. 3, 2018
We had a really good night with John. He had a really good banter with our audience, and really had us rocking in the aisles. There were many ladies crying with laughter. His magic tricks were really good, and we were all left thinking 'how did you do that!' We are recommending him on to other parties and ran out of his business cards in a couple of minutes. I think it's safe to say that a good night was had by all!
Georgina Bradbury• Sept. 13, 2017
"I booked John for my husband's surprise 40th birthday party. We had it in a private bar so John did close up card tricks to groups of 2-6 people at a time. He stayed with us for an hour and gradually made his way around everyone. He was brilliant...and funny. His tricks were really good and all I could hear was people saying ""no way"" and ""wow how did you do that!"" I'm really pleased I booked him now as it was a nice way of breaking up the evening and everyone said how impressed they were. My husband said he would definitely recommend him as well and who knows we may even book him again in the future too.
Thanks also to Poptop for a really efficient service which made things really easy to book and choose the right person for the event.
Lynsey Hunt• Dec. 15, 2016
"I would totally recommend John Holt. I booked him for my mother in-law's 70th birthday which I hosted at my house. I wanted him to help get the party going and also to make it really memorable - and he did!
First of all he turned up early which was useful, it allowed him to prepare and see the house layout and have a chat with us as hosts before most of the party (including the birthday girl) landed.
There were about 25 people at the party and John made sure that he saw everyone at least once, He had lots of tricks - making limes appear and re-appear, as well as lots of different funny card tricks. The best thing was that he had good banter - many guests found him hilarious and even the sceptical ones loved the magic tricks and couldn't work out how he had done it (it's magic powers of course :). He mingled around the different groups of people which varied from age 16 to 80. He was brilliant and the birthday girl loved it. If you're looking for someone to entertain your guests with good humour and excellent magic tricks then I would really recommend John."
claire oliver• Oct. 14, 2016
John was a really nice guy but I was disappointed after reading the reviews, I think John would be great for a wedding going to individual tables with quick tricks but this definitely was not a stand up 'show' (mainly due to the length of time), I cringed at one point as one of our guys heckled and John had an inappropriate response, the tricks were good at times and we did enjoy it but i'm not convinced John is appropriate for a corporate party event (there were only 13 of us), that said we did have a good time. I don't want to sound like a party pooper I just struggled to get it when he came recommended.
- Do you do open-air acts?Yes, my magic is able to be performed outdoors. This is really useful if you're in the UK and you're lucky enough to get married on the one day of the year we have gorgeous sunshine! If there's a hurricane on it's way though, I might struggle (especially if I've forgotten to bring my kagool!).
- How long is the act?That depends. I know, it's annoying when we say that, isn't it? The truth is, my act can be tailored to you, but , as a rough estimate, I usually recommend one hour per 40-50 people. That way, you can make sure I see everyone who wants to see some magic!
- What type of magic do you performIf I was being arty and pretentious, I would say something like "intimate moments of astonishment with ordinary apparatus". I'm not pretentious though, so I won't. I do close up magic and take the mickey out of people. Banter would be a good way of describing it. No audience is the same, so why should my performance be?
- Will your magic suit my event?That depends (damn, I said it again!). If you're having a celebration and are wanting your guests to have a fabulously, funny time - the kind of time they THANK YOU for giving them, then I'm the man for you. I can get your guests laughing and having fun. If you're looking for an overly serious presentation of mystical arts, or a yooful, urban teenager wearing a hoodie and ripped jeans, I'm definitely not the man for you.
- How many people will you perform for?As many as will have me! My usual speed is 50 or so guests per hour. I'm fuelled by a combination of Diet Coke and Tunnocks Teacakes, so have access to a near infinite supply of energy. No matter how many guests you've got, I can do magic for them.
John performs as a close up magician. Often called a table magician, John works for small groups at a time, mixing and mingling with your guests, no matter where they are.
John has designed his act to work anywhere. He doesn't need any stages, special lighting or table space. It can work indoors or outdoors, in big rooms or small rooms. It doesn't matter. Just point him in the direction of some adults wanting a good time and let him go to work!