"Thank you so much for entertaining the guests at our wedding, I cannot recommend you enough. I had been panicking about the drinks reception being too long and people getting bored, but the guests seemed disappointed when they were called for the wedding breakfast and it was time for you to go. Having never booked any sort of entertainment for a party before, we were not sure what to expect with either the magic or the comedy side but we couldn’t decide what you were better at, they were both equally brilliant. Everyone was amazed with your ability to make people belly laugh whilst performing brilliant tricks. Thank you for helping make our day stress free."
As one of the few full time magicians in the North West of England, John works as a close up magician and comedian at corporate events, weddings and private parties all over the UK.
"John doesn’t leave anything to chance. I was so impressed with the professionalism that he showed throughout the event. Any fears that I had were p...
Georgina Bradbury• 13 Sep 2017
"I booked John for my husband's surprise 40th birthday party. We had it in a private bar so John did close up card tricks to groups of 2-6 people at a time. He stayed with us for an hour and gradually made his way around everyone. He was brilliant...and funny. His tricks were really good and all I could hear was people saying ""no way"" and ""wow how did you do that!"" I'm really pleased I booked him now as it was a nice way of breaking up the evening and everyone said how impressed they wer...
HALEY CAINE• 3 Oct 2018
We had a really good night with John. He had a really good banter with our audience, and really had us rocking in the aisles. There were many ladies crying with laughter. His magic tricks were really good, and we were all left thinking 'how did you do that!' We are recommending him on to other parties and ran out of his business cards in a couple of minutes. I think it's safe to say that a good night was had by all!
Lynsey Hunt• 15 Dec 2016
"I would totally recommend John Holt. I booked him for my mother in-law's 70th birthday which I hosted at my house. I wanted him to help get the party going and also to make it really memorable - and he did!
First of all he turned up early which was useful, it allowed him to prepare and see the house layout and have a chat with us as hosts before most of the party (including the birthday girl) landed.
There were about 25 people at the party and John made sure that he saw everyone at least on...
claire oliver• 14 Oct 2016
John was a really nice guy but I was disappointed after reading the reviews, I think John would be great for a wedding going to individual tables with quick tricks but this definitely was not a stand up 'show' (mainly due to the length of time), I cringed at one point as one of our guys heckled and John had an inappropriate response, the tricks were good at times and we did enjoy it but i'm not convinced John is appropriate for a corporate party event (there were only 13 of us), th...
- Do you do open-air acts?Yes, my magic is able to be performed outdoors. This is really useful if you're in the UK and you're lucky enough to get married on the one day of the year we have gorgeous sunshine! If there's a hurricane on it's way though, I might struggle (especially if I've forgotten to bring my kagool!).
- How long is the act?That depends. I know, it's annoying when we say that, isn't it? The truth is, my act can be tailored to you, but , as a rough estimate, I usually recommend one hour per 40-50 people. That way, you can make sure I see everyone who wants to see some magic!
- What type of magic do you performIf I was being arty and pretentious, I would say something like "intimate moments of astonishment with ordinary apparatus". I'm not pretentious though, so I won't. I do close up magic and take the mickey out of people. Banter would be a good way of describing it. No audience is the same, so why should my performance be?
- Will your magic suit my event?That depends (damn, I said it again!). If you're having a celebration and are wanting your guests to have a fabulously, funny time - the kind of time they THANK YOU for giving them, then I'm the man for you. I can get your guests laughing and having fun. If you're looking for an overly serious presentation of mystical arts, or a yooful, urban teenager wearing a hoodie and ripped jeans, I'm definitely not the man for you.
- How many people will you perform for?As many as will have me! My usual speed is 50 or so guests per hour. I'm fuelled by a combination of Diet Coke and Tunnocks Teacakes, so have access to a near infinite supply of energy. No matter how many guests you've got, I can do magic for them.
John performs as a close up magician. Often called a table magician, John works for small groups at a time, mixing and mingling with your guests, no matter where they are.
John has designed his act t...