Big Phat Phunction Band
The Big Phat Phunction band is a unique function band due to its adaptable line-up (5-12 members) and wide-ranging repertoire. As well as playing favourite function songs (Brown Eyed Girl, Happy etc), we specialise in soul classics (Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin), Hippy tunes (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin) and 80s cheese! With close to 100 songs in our repertoire and a band of professional musicians based at the RNCM we can accommodate virtually all function events.
Whether you want a small five piece band or the full twelve piece with four piece horn section, we are happy to provide hours of entertainment and can tailor the set to include personal favourites. We have previously performed at a post-concert gig for Courtney Pine and have played various function gigs across Manchester including several headline gigs at the RNCM and a number of weddings.
The band’s members can also be hired out for more intimate events if preferred (e.g. jazz/classical quartets or piano/ singer duos). ...
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:A unique function band available for all occasions as a 5-12 piece - huge repetoire of soul, rock, 80s modern and can play as a jazz outfit too
- What are the highlights of your career?We have played many weddings across the country, as well as birthday parties and dinner parties. We have also recorded videos, audio and done photoshoot, as well as supporting jazz legend Courtney Pine at the Royal Northern College of Music.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?We have a repetoire of close to 100 songs covering rock, soul, blues, funk and pop and can adapt to virtually any gig. We are most multi-instrumentalists who are professional musicians and are very versatile. We can be hired in various options between 5-12 people (can include two vocals, two guitars, 4 piece horns and percussion) and can also play background jazz music and work as a DJ too in between sets if necessary
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings Birthday Parties Dinner Parties Engagement Parties Anniversaries
- Who are your previous clients?We have been hired for many weddings and other parties and have recieved only positive feedback. References are available upon request
- How can event planners pay for your services?We usually take a small deposit and ask for the rest of the money to be transferred within a few days of us playing but are quite flexible if other payment options are necessary
- How long do you play for?We can play for as long as necessary. Pretty standard to do 2X45 minutes or 3X45 minutes, but can play for even longer if required
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?We have a PA system but no lighting, though this hasn't been a problem in the past
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Our equipment is all PAT tested, can look into PLI if absolutely necessary
- How much space do you require?Depends on size of the band hired, though we usually do well at being quite compact if space is an issue
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Requests are more than welcomed
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?Breaks are usually 15-20 minutes, the frequency and quantity depend on how long we are playing overall
Rock and Roll
Hound Dog - C/Eb - Big Mama Thornton - 1953
Great Balls of Fire - C - Jerry Lee Louis - 1957
Johnny B. Goode - Bb - Chuck Berry - 1958
Shout - Eb- The Isley Brothers/Lulu - 1959...