Richard Moss and Ben Farmer are two of North West England's most in demand folk musicians. Each has an international reputation, having won awards and accolades across the UK and Europe where they have toured extensively in a variety of guises. They are in large demand as performers and workshop leaders teaching a wide variety of instruments to both adults and children at festivals, residential weekends and more.
As a ceilidh band, the duo both call the dances and play, making use of special techniques to make them sound much bigger than a duo would suggest! Both are friendly and entertaining performers who are sure to get people on their feet and having a whale of a time. In addition, Richard is an excellent singer and will keep audiences enthralled with his songs and exquisite guitar accompaniment.
Liz Brewster• Nov. 10, 2019
We had the best time with this duo. They were fun and entertaining and I would certainly recommend them. Would love to have them again for our next event.
Ian• Aug. 3, 2018
"Always quick to respond to enquiries and nothing was too much trouble for him. Even when a last minute panic set in over our own playlist, Ben was only too happy to assist and save the day.
I can’t recommend these guys enough!"
Emma• July 6, 2018
These guys were just fab as entertainment for our wedding day. When you have a mix of young, old and young at heart, it’s so hard to please everyone, but please everyone they did. With their infectious beats, comedic interludes and toe tapping tunes, Ben and Richard brought energy, fun and laughter to the dance-floor. The dress code for guests was an optional touch of purple in memory of my mum, and I was really touched that they turned up in purple ties too. What lovely guys! We had a great time boogieing into the early hours as we added on a funky disco too.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Ceilidh duo with attitude
- What are the highlights of your career?Touring Ireland, Scotland, Mexico, France, Portugal.... ... and the honour of being invited to play for hundreds of people's special days!
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Although we can sound big, we're available as a small duo. You will get a very professional service from start to finish.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings, corporate events, birthdays, festivals, folk clubs...
- Who are your previous clients?Many many many weddings all over the North of England and beyond Lancaster University Manchester University St Andrews University University of Central Lancashire University of Cumbria Edge Hill University
- How can event planners pay for your services?Bank transfers are our preference (24hrs in advance), but we will accept payment by cheque (7 days in advance) or cash upfront on the night.
- How long do you play for?A normal ceilidh event would include two one-hour sets, but we're flexible - tell us what you'd like.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?We have PAT tested PA and Lighting suitable for venues up to 800 seats.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?We have Public Liability insurance up to £10m and all electrical equipment is PAT tested.
- How much space do you require?The duo require a minimum of 3m x 2m for the musicians and equipment. depending on numbers we would suggest a minimum dance space of 10m square.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Let us know and we'll see what we can do. We can learn most music fairly quickly and if it's not in our repertoire there may be a small fee to learn it.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?It's helpful for us to have a 15m break in a two hour set.
We play a variety of original and traditional music with many many names. Our dances include, but are not limited to:
The Gay Gordons
Dashing White Sergeant
Strip the Willow
Four Round Four
Wring out the Dishrag
Cumberland Square Eight
Waves of Tory
Walls of Limerick
Bridge of Athlone
Siege of Ennis
St Bernard's Waltz
Sweets of May
Britannia Two Step
Highland Barn Dance