Sicilian Donkey – Sicilian Street Food is a mobile catering service that brings a taste of Sicily to the UK. Chef Umberto Caltabiano works at private and corporate events, festivals and markets selling artisan Sicilian street foods from a gazebo.
Sicilian food is all about the quality of the ingredients. We Sicilians have developed, by necessity, a food culture of "cucina povera" in which we take a few, simple ingredients and create mouthwatering dishes – usually love and time are the added component. Invasions by Greeks, Arabs, Normans, Phoenicians have all added to the food culture so we have Middle Eastern and African influences and use a lot of spices that you won’t find elsewhere in Italy.
Arancini are “little oranges” but the Sicilian arancino is a savoury speciality. We use risotto to make a ball and in the middle we stuff a beef ragu with cheese. The ball is breadcrumbed and deep-fried giving you a delicious, oozy, portable feast made famous by Inspector Montalbano.
- What services do you offer?Sicilian street food from a gazebo. Catering and private chef services.
- Do you offer a venue for the banquet?Not applicable
- Do you cook in the same location as the banquet?We cook and serve from a gazebo. We require power at a minimum, running water is a "nice to have" as we come with a water tank and handwash.
- Is it possible to adapt/modify the menu?We can work with you on a menu to sit tastes and budget
- What kind of cuisine do you offer?Italian, Southern Italian, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern
- Do you offer special menus?Yes - all our menus are special :-)
- Do you also offer a wedding cake?Not currently
- How does the open bar work?Not applicable
- What is included in the menu?Not applicable
Street food from a gazebo - menu agreed in advance
Catering for events
Private chef services