City String Ensemble is a stylish string ensemble who add a touch of class to your wedding, drinks reception or corporate event.
City String Ensemble are a stunning group of musicians who provide entertainment at all events. We are a string ensemble with a difference - the repertoire list features all your classical favourites, but we are not afraid to try something new!
You can expect to hear original, quirky arrangements of songs from musicals and films, swing classics, and modern pop songs. Check out our extensive repertoire - and if you have any other songs you'd like the group to perform for you, get in touch and we'll see what we can do!
We perform completely acoustically and are able to entertain your guests indoors or outdoors, provided there is suitable cover. We usually ensemble perform as a quartet but we are also available as a trio or duo, depending on space and budget.
We can entertain your guests for 30 minutes before the ceremony, and then perform music for the procession and recession of the bride and the signing of the register.
You can also have us stay for longer to entertain your guests for your indoors or outdoors cocktail hour and beyond!
The string quartet is the most popular and classic ensemble, possessing a diverse repertoire. A perfectly balanced range of instruments; the quartet can entertain the whole party or subtly blend into the surroundings, adding an extra sparkle to the atmosphere.
A string trio is perfect for where space might be limited. A smaller group of just three players, our string trio can provide ample entertainment with much of our quartet repertoire also working perfectly well for trio.
If you would prefer something more unique, a string duo may be what you are looking for. A combination of either two violins or a violin and cello presents a more intimate feel and again, frees up more room for your guests to enjoy your event. Our repertoire for string duo covers a wide range of genres, from Classical to Klezmer, Salsa and other styles from around the world.
Howie• Dec. 7, 2019
I would just like to say, we had an absolutely outstanding evenings entertainment from the City String Ensemble. Pitched to the right level of Christmas & popular music with lots of tunes that we sang along to. Highly recommend.
Kate Barry• June 5, 2019
IAN• May 18, 2018
What can we say other than awesome. Such beautiful music played in the background, no issues, no fuss just played to a high professional standard. Thank you to all from the both of us.
Kim Gunson• May 25, 2017
They played beautifully at my daughters wedding . The Bride and groom were very happy . Would recommend them to anyone having an outdoor wedding , beautiful sound .
sarah nachshen• July 14, 2019
Everything was perfect from start to finish. Great communication, prompt arrival and of course excellent music. All our requests were played with great arrangements and the sound was perfect for our engagement tea party. I would not hesitate to highly recommend- many of our guests especially commented on how much they enjoyed the music.
Heather Naylor• Feb. 23, 2019
"We booked the City String Ensemble for our wedding at The Gherkin.
From the start, Sophie was quick to respond, polite and super helpful. The quartet has a great repertoire of classical and modern songs, and were also more than happy to learn one of my favourite pieces for a small sum.
On the day, the group were professional, the music was wonderful and we couldn't have asked for anything more - thank you again for your wonderful playing!"
Services From City String Ensemble
- What kind of events do you usually serve?We can play for any event, be it big or small. We have played for weddings, private parties, corporate functions, memorials, backing strings for live concerts and recording sessions.
- How long do you play for?We usually play for a total of 3-4 hours in sets of 45-50 minutes, allowing for a short break in between each set.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?We have Public Liability Insurance
- How much space do you require?We require a well-lit space of 3m x 2m.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?If you have a favourite song which is not on our list, we can arrange this especially for you at an additional cost.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We need to take a break after playing for 45-50 minutes. They are short breaks of 10-15 minutes. If preferred, we can take our break at a time that suits you and adjust our playing times accordingly if there are planned speeches or times when no music is required.
Please see our website for a full list of songs!