Royal Northern College Of Music
124 Oxford Rd,, M13 9RD, Manchester, Greater Manchester
Info about Royal Northern College Of Music
The RNCM’s history dates back to the late 19th century and the establishment of the Royal Manchester College of Music (RMCM).
In 1858, Sir Charles Hallé founded the Hallé orchestra in Manchester, and by the early 1890s, had raised the idea of a music college in the city. Following an appeal for support, a building on Ducie Street was secured, Hallé was appointed Principal and Queen Victoria conferred the Royal title. The RMCM opened its doors to 80 students in 1893, rising to 117 by the end of the first year.
Less than four decades later, in 1920, the Northern School of Music was established (initially as a branch of the Matthay School of Music), and for many years the two institutions peacefully coexisted. In fact, it wasn’t until 1955 that NSM Principal, Hilda Collens, in recognising the importance of performance in training students, met with RMCM Principal, Frederic Cox, to raise the question of merging.
Discussions continued until September 1967 when a Joint Committee was formed to oversee plans to combine the two colleges. The RNCM was formed in 1972, moving to its purpose-built home on Oxford Road in 1973, where it continues to deliver world-class musical training.