Fitzroy Place 2 Pearson Square, W1T 3BF, London, Greater London
Price from £1500 Up to 60 guests
Our Prices Are From:
- £1500 per event
Info about Fitzrovia Chapel
The Fitzrovia Chapel is a magnificent Grade II* listed building that was originally housed within The Middlesex Hospital. The hospital no longer exists, but the chapel was beautifully preserved and restored. It now sits in the centre of the new development of Fitzroy Place.
The Middlesex Hospital was first opened in 1745, although the chapel was designed in 1891 by celebrated Victorian architect John Loughborough Pearson and completed posthumously in 1929 by his son Frank. It was built as a memorial to Major Ross MP, former Chairman of the Board of Governors of The Middlesex Hospital, and was funded by two renowned surgeons from the hospital, Lord Webb Johnson and Sir John Bland Sutton.
Awarded the prestigious Royal Institute of British Architects gold medal in 1880, JL Pearson worked on some of Britain’s finest ecclesiastical buildings, including Truro Cathedral, Bristol Cathedral and St Margaret’s, Westminster. Today the chapel has a new setting, within a modern square named after the architect (Pearson Square).
The architecture was inspired by Gothic architecture of north Germany and Italy. Within an unassuming red brick enclosure, the chapel has a simple rectangular nave with a small narthex at the entrance. JL Pearson was part of a Gothic Revivalist movement, while his son, Frank, took his inspiration from a wider palette of architectural styles. One of the most striking features of the chapel is the beautiful and ornate mosaic ceiling of the chancel.
It was designed by FL Pearson following his close study of medieval Italian architecture and, in this particular instance, of the basilica of St Mark’s, Venice, and various lesser known churches in Rome. The chapel’s chancel mosaic was first completed between 1897 and 1901, and was installed by Italian craftsmen using imported materials, as was much of the subsequent decoration of the building.