Professional ensemble Reed & Ivory, combining the instruments of clarinet and piano are a duo based in the North of England. Formed in 2014, Helen Goldsmith (clarinettist) and Ben Cockburn (pianist) who both graduated from Leeds College of Music in 2016 have achieved a number of accolades within the short time they have been together. Having recorded a number of Suites by Vaughn Williams and Paul Reade, the duo went on to finish second at Leeds College of Music’s 2014/15 track of the year award with their rendition of Bozza’s Aria. Reed & Ivory have a very active performing career in Yorkshire, with performances at Wakefield, Gipton, White Cloth Gallery, Holy Trinity Church, HEART and Leeds College of Music. The duo were invited to perform as a support act for the tour "Inspirational and Unplugged" in 2016 working with Classical Soprano Scarlett Quigley (who featured in the BBC's The Voice in 2018) and pianist/organist Adam Parrish. This project inspired the duo to put plans in motion towards their own tour. Working very closely with living composers, the duo took a collection of New Music on the road last year with their UK Tour: "A Spotlight on Living Composers." Since then, the duo have performed extensively across Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, York and Bradford and enjoy being active recitalists for a number of lunchtime concert series across the UK.
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:We are a professional clarinet and piano duo specializing in classical/contemporary performance.
- What are the highlights of your career?The highlights of our career are performing contemporary classical compositions on a tour of the UK.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?We can provide music catered to your needs and availability. Our prices are not fixed. We are happy to negotiate based on your requirements.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings Funerals Parties Formal/corporate events Lunchtime/evening recitals School presentations/assemblies Hospitals Carehomes
- Who are your previous clients?Our most recent and regular clients are: Weetwood Hall (Wetherby, Yorkshire) Grove Park Care Home (Leeds, Yorkshire)
- How can event planners pay for your services?BACS, Cheque, Cash.
- How long do you play for?We can play up to any length of time.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?No.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes.
- How much space do you require?Not much space at all. Just enough to fit a piano/keyboard.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Yes but only with notice.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We take a 10 minute comfort break after each 45 minute set.
Air on a G string
St Louis Blues
Maple Leaf Rag
The Victorian Kitchen Garden Suite - (Reade)
Folk Songs (Williams)
3 Fantasy Pieces (Schumann)
Four short pieces (Ferguson)