Bobbing Joe play lively folk music for English ceilidhs (also known as barn dances or English country dances), Scottish ceilidhs, Irish ceilis, and French and Swedish bals. We play at weddings, parties and festivals accross Yorkshire and Derbyshire, and are available for hire anywhere within a few hours drive of Sheffield.
Combining traditional music with stomping rhythm, tight arrangements, singing and fun, we will infect all of your guests with an irresistible dancing itch, even your great aunt Joan who is a regular martyr to her feet!
Ian Pye• March 9, 2019
Bobbing Joe were brilliant. Great musicians, really friendly. Everyone loved them.
wesley• Aug. 19, 2017
Absolutely outstanding !! Booked the tro to play background music at my wedding reception and everyone commented to say how talented they were. Bobbing Joe learnt and played songs I requested and where willing to travel nearly 2hrs to the venue. I also had guests wanting the band to play at their events later in the year. Thank you so much guys you were worth every penny :)
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Ceilidh band playing live folk dance music for weddings and other events.
- What are the highlights of your career?Playing for a wide range of people across Sheffield and South Yorkshire, and helping people to celebrate!
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Weddings, birthday parties, and other functions.
- How long do you play for?We are flexible, but generally we find that two sets of 60-90 minutes each works well.
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?We have our own PA system which is included in our standard price. We can hire and bring lights if these are required. This will incur an extra charge.
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?Yes.
- How much space do you require?We are flexible but generally we need at least 5m wide x 2m deep.
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Possibly - get in touch and we can discuss.
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?We find that the dancers need more breaks that we do. We normally have a few short breaks for people to go and get a drink of water, and one longer break in the middle of two sets.
A ceilidh (pronounced 'kaylee') is a great way to have some sweaty fun. All of the dances are explained by a dance caller and can be done with no prior knowledge or skill. They are suitable for all ages, from small children to senior citizens. Ceilidhs are popular at weddings and other events as they are a great way of getting guests up on their feet interacting with each other rather than sitting around the edge of the room.
We bring and operate our own public address (PA) system. If you also want to use the PA for something else - such as speeches or a disco - at the same event we are generally able to accomodate this, but we may charge a small extra fee if it requires us to wait around.
Bobing Joe are able to accomodate your needs - please let us know if you have any special requirements.