Beggar’s Bridge are a band from Hull who write tuneful and engaging song-stories in the best folk traditions, often based upon tales of people, places and events from their home county of East Yorkshire. Their sound has a timeless quality to it, feeling at once traditional, yet contemporary, and they have earned an excellent reputation at folk clubs, venues and festivals around the North and beyond for their live performances, as well as garnering some outstanding reviews in the national folk press for their recorded output. It’s not just the music that makes a Beggar’s Bridge gig memorable, though; the song-stories are explained with a good helping of earthy humour, making for an experience which is not only musically satisfying, but amusing and informative too…
Please note that Beggar’s Bridge can adapt their format to suit all venues and occasions. So, if you’re a folk club which prefers its guests to perform without amplification, or your venue is simply too small to accommodate all of us, we can strip things back accordingly and still play for you!
- Please, describe your act or business in on sentence:Slices of Yorkshire folklore, conveyed through musical excellence and allied with a generous helping of down-to-earth humour, makes for a great show!
- What are the highlights of your career?Main Stage slots at New Forest Folk Festival and Beverley Folk Festival.
- What is your competitive advantage (special features)?Our mixture of musical excellence, fascinating story-telling and between-songs laughs.
- What kind of events do you usually serve?Folk music events
- How can event planners pay for your services?Any way they want
- How long do you play for?Up to 100 minutes
- Do you have your own PA and lighting?We have our own small PA
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance and PAT tested equipment?No
- How much space do you require?Ideally, at least 3m x 5m, but we've squeezed into much tighter spots when required!
- My favourite tune is not on your list. Will you be able to play it?Nope
- How many breaks do you take? How long are they?Usually one. Length depends. However short or long it's required to be.
Self-written songs with our own arrangements of traditional songs thrown in occasionally.